Mouthguards are thin plastic shields that are worn in your mouth and cover your teeth. They’re a great way to protect your teeth from damage due to physical activity or contact sports. You might also want to consider a mouthguard for your child if he or she is enrolled in a gym class where contact sports might be played.
Why Wear a Mouthguard?
- Dental mouthguards are custom-fitted so they’re comfortable and easy to wear.
- Athletic sports mouthguards shield your teeth against impact from a ball, equipment, or another person.
- Mouthguards protect the rest of your mouth from being accidentally bitten or scraped by your teeth.
- Sports mouthguards help reduce the risk of concussions.
- Mouthguards keep your bite lined up, preventing injury to your jaw.
What about Store-Bought Mouthguards?
While mouthguards are commonly available at sporting goods stores, we don’t recommend using this kind. Store-bought mouthguards are made of cheaper material and simply can’t be made to fit as securely as professionally-made mouthguards. An ill-fitting mouthguard can cause damage to your mouth by sliding around, irritating your cheeks and gums, or falling out when you need it most.
Our North Houston mouthguards are made of a thin plastic that allows you to breathe normally while still protecting your teeth. It’s made to fit your specific mouth, hugging your teeth for a secure and sturdy fit.
If you’d like to talk to your North Houston dentist about getting a custom-fitted mouthguard for you or your child, call our office to make an appointment today!